Monday, September 29, 2008
this is really really good! we had this for dinner last night. i have been making this dish for quite some time being my dad's favorite dish but this time it got even better with the addition of balsamic vinegar. kaldereta is a Filipino term for goat meat stew. i think this meal is of Spanish origin having a tomato-based sauce...enjoy!
600 gms. goat meat
3 pcs. lemon
2 onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 pcs bay leaves
3 pcs. star anise
5 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
2 pcs whole pickles, sliced into cubes
3 cups soda (7-up)
1/4 cup rice wine
1 pc. red bell pepper
1 cup pineapple chunks
250 gms. tomato sauce
carrots and potatoes, cubed
salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the goat meat thoroughly with water. Drain. Squeeze in 3 pcs. lemon, blend well with the goat meat. Disregard the lemon seeds and set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil. Add in the goatmeat. Stir-fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add 5 tbsp. worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, whole pickles, star anise, bay leaves and rice wine. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes before adding the soda. Cook over low fire for 30 minutes.
4. Add the tomato sauce and pineapples. Simmer for another 30 minutes or until the meat is tender.
5. In another pan, deep fry the potatoes and carrots. Drain in paper towel.
6. Add in fried potaotes and carrots together with the red bell pepper to the meat mixture.
7. Blend well to coat the veges with the sauce.